Sunday, January 23, 2011

Yes, I joined the Navy

I got back from Africa and wanted to get into the healthcare field. The plan was to get a part time job, enroll in a City College, and apply to Nursing School. Unfortunately the recession was at its high point (low point?) and I couldn’t even find a job, let alone a part time one! I didn’t want to take out more loans for school, and I didn’t relish the idea of sticking around Sacramento. I was drifting off to sleep one night and thinking: “I wish there was a way to get practical experience in the healthcare field. I wish someone would pay for it. I wish they would pay for school, too. But I still want to travel… OH MY GOD I CAN JOIN THE NAVY!” That’s really what happened. I swear! My Navy friends always laugh when I tell them this because we’ve all come to the invariable conclusion that the Navy is the worst thing to wish on anyone! Just kidding! Well, it’s complicated. I am getting all those things out of it, it’s just that we have to be in the military and sometimes it’s harder than we thought it would be. But sometimes it’s fun. And it’s ALWAYS an experience! Keep you posted!

No comments: