Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Oh the places you'll go!

Order picking season is not quite upon us, but I've put in a lot of thought as to where I'd like to live for the next two to three years. If (and its a big IF) any of these bases are open to me, here is what I've been dreaming on. In decsending order of "oh my gawd, that'd be super":

NAPLES, ITALY
Why Naples? Beyond the obvious reasons, my great-grandfather is rumored to have expatriated from here. I like the sense of history. It’s also a well established Naval base, and after the harrowing time I've had here with this new command... I'll take a "old" over "new (with kinks)" any day! Also, I've already been to Italy and know I love it!!!!

YOKOSUKA, JAPAN
Reasons: To hang out with fine, upstanding Sailors. Like these guys!

Why couldn't I have been around for THIS Navy?
(Oh right... I wouldn't have been allowed in!)




Japan is probably the most exciting option, even though I have it ranked lower than Italy. I’ve never been there and it seems so exotic! Europe (and specifically Italy) was exhilarating but didn’t seem particularly “foreign”. Japan? I have no preconceptions.  


PEARL HARBOR, HAWAII

Reasons: Close to Neal, I can take a few college classes in preparation for PA school, it's Hawaii...

I've already been here, so I know I'll like it!



SAN DIEGO
Reasons:
The same as Italy. I like the sense of familial history. My mom grew up there, and it was the final duty station of my Grandfather, Chief Ganze (USN). I think the symmetry of a Granddaughter separated by 60 years and a generation from her Grandfather, but in the same Navy and duty station as he, is romantic.


Also, it is another well established base. Very Navy friendly, as you can see here!

BREMERTON, WASHINGTON
Reasons: It seems “outdoorsy”. The base is right on Puget Sound. I saw an episode of No Reservations and frankly, the idea of all the fresh caught salmon I can eat is appealing! Being in the US, I can still work on those college classes and am not TOO far away from family and Neal.
Killer Whales in Puget Sound
Pike's Place Fish Market

THE PHILIPPINES
Reasons: I read a book called Cryptonomicon and it painted an exciting picture. The Island itself seems interesting and I like the fact travel to South Asia is easy. Other than the fact I like Lumpia… it just seems like an adventure. In some ways even more so than Japan! People go to Japan on vacation all the time… “I’ll be wintering in Luzon” rings strange. I see it as an opportunity to live in a place others would normally never even consider.



So while all this seems exciting, I have to keep in mind I could very well wind up in Lemoore, California (yuk), Pensacola, Florida (double yuk), or Norfolk, Virginia (just kill me now!). All I can do is be top of my class (so far so good) and make prayers the Order Gods are generous.

1 comment:

BerlingsBeard said...

Hi Nekayah!

I really dig your blog, keep it up!

Best of luck on getting Orders for one of your top choices.

Super Proud of all you're doing!

Spoke with Neal two days ago and am so happy he's happy where he is.

All my best!
~Ken