Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Ups of a Down economy

I always thought I was too poor to do the prerequisite young-person right of passage: traveling to and around Europe. While the former is still true, thanks to the economic crisis enveloping our global society, it seems as though the latter part of that statement has been negated.

In other words: now everybody is as poor as me! I'm going to Europe, bitches!

My best friend and I just bough round-trip tickets from San Fransisco to Frankfort, Germany. You need to not freak when I tell you the price. Ready?

$417.

Combine that with the fact that we are using family friends as a base-camp and form of free lodging and I feel we have a very cost-effective trip in the makes.

Another great thing about our shitty economy? The Sales! Now that I have somewhere to go, I need cute things to wear, yes? Normally, I would steer clear of stores like Banana Republic, Urban Outfitters, The Limited, ect. But the sales y'all, the sales! Everything is at least 50% off, usually more and it must go, go, go!

Also, on the clothing front I must mention that due to the poor economy and tax season rolling around, many are donating to Goodwill in the hopes to have a hefty write-off. Fortunately for us poor people, that means a wealth of options (if you are willing to dig!). By crazyrandomhappenstance, my mom lives in a very old and upscale part of Sacramento. We're talking mansions and well manicured yards with attached stables, pools and tennis courts. This means that the local area Goodwill store is brimming with high-class crap at welfare crap prices.
Case in point: I needed a light dress that covers my shoulders and knees for when we are running around Italy and visiting churches. I trotted over to Goodwill and got a lovely Banana Republic 100% Silk, Never Worn (the original price tag was still on it), $145 (like I said, the original price tag was still on it) dress. I paid $5. Take that, global economic crisis! I need to take a picture of it and post it, otherwise I fear no one will believe me.
On a related note, has anyone reading this gone in to a Goodwill store? They're AMAZING. Don't let the formerly incarcerated employees discourage you, nor the piles of Wal-Mart cast-offs dissuade you: there are finds to be found at Goodwill!
If you can't handle the skeez factor of someone else having worn you clothes; may I recommend the Dollar Store as an appropriate substitute. Sure, there are no clothes but if you need a travel coffee mug, scented candles, picture frames or candy (maybe the last one is just me), you can't beat the Dollar Store. And once again, don't let the Meth-head behind the cash register freak you out. Just don't stare at her meth mouth at checkout and you'll get out unscathed. Really, the only problem I ever have at the Dollar Store is that it f&#ks with my sense of Capitalism. Example:
"Oh, this is nice. How much is this?" (Nekayah remembers where she is. It's a dollar.)
"I need five of these though. How much would that be? (Nekayah remembers where she is and does simple math in her head)
"Sweet! They have my favorite candy here! How mu-" (This time, Nekayah remembers where she is before she completes her thought. Slight progress is made)
And so on and so forth.

So for anyone out there trippin' balls about how bad things are economically, look on the bright side: it's only really tragic if you're upper-middle class or rich! So take public transportation and treat yourself to a day of shopping at Goodwill and the Dollar Store. Perhaps finish up your day by hanging out at the public library and taking advantage of their delicious free internet? God I love America.

No comments: